Re: CM system overlap estimate

From: Ben Grodsky <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:42:42 -0700

K. I'll tell him he can see the data from the DC system from our current feeds. I'll BCC you guys. If I can get them to stop talking to you guys directly, I think we'll be happier overall....

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Ebert
To: Ben Grodsky; Jay Mairs
Sent: Mon Jul 02 15:35:45 2007
Subject: Re: CM system overlap estimate

I would think one day out of the current feed data would be plenty, he probably wants even less than that, say 10 minutes of data?
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Grodsky
To: Jay Mairs; Ben Ebert
Sent: Mon Jul 02 15:29:13 2007
Subject: Fw: CM system overlap estimate

Universal Studios statician help!
What would a "quick snapshot" mean (see below)?

----- Original Message -----
From: Doganaksoy, Necip (GE, Research) <>
To: Markham, Aaron (NBC Universal) <>; Ben Grodsky
Cc: Skinner, Andrew (NBC Universal) <>
Sent: Mon Jul 02 15:21:36 2007
Subject: RE: CM system overlap estimate

Aaron and all,
I interpret "90% overlap" to mean that the Data Collection system sees 90% of the interdictions (decoys files?) served by the Protection System. It misses the other 10%. If so, this is a very good number.
On a related note, I really do not know what type of data is being captured by the Data Collection System. What triggered my interest on this topic was the desire to enable ourselves to gain visibility into countermeasures at the individual infringer level (e.g., IP and preferably the user hash on eDonkey). I need to learn more about the type of data being captured and stored by the DC system. Can I see a quick snapshot?
Best wishes,


From: Markham, Aaron (NBC Universal)
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 2:33 PM
To: Ben Grodsky; Doganaksoy, Necip (GE, Research)
Cc: Skinner, Andrew (NBC Universal)
Subject: RE: CM system overlap estimate

Thanks Ben. Necip, 90% overlap sounds like it would be good enough. Shall we proceed as is?



From: Ben Grodsky []
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 1:04 PM
To: Markham, Aaron (NBC Universal)
Cc: Skinner, Andrew (NBC Universal)
Subject: FW: CM system overlap estimate




Too funny. I just saw the e-mail from Andrew. Here's what we had to say.




From: Ben Grodsky
Sent: Fri 29-Jun-07 13:03
To: Skinner, Andrew (NBC Universal); Ben Ebert
Subject: RE: CM system overlap estimate



The fundamental problem is that we can't link the Protection System to the Data Collection system completely. We extrapolated from a sample of several of our nodes on the network and found a high percentage of overlap between the Protection and Data Collection systems -- in the 90%+ range. We ran these tests since the Tuesday following our phone call through this morning to extend the time frame to smooth out any inter-day or intra-day noise. This was a huge effort which required several of our development staff to run manual queries on each node at different times of the day, affecting each computer's Protection performance.



Ben Grodsky


From: Skinner, Andrew (NBC Universal) []
Sent: Thu 28-Jun-07 10:20
To: Ben Ebert
Cc: Ben Grodsky
Subject: CM system overlap estimate

Hi Ben,


Have you been able to run any tests to estimate how much overlap there is between what the countermeasure machines see? When can we expect this data?





Received on Fri Sep 14 2007 - 10:56:03 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Sun Sep 16 2007 - 22:19:48 BST